What Is It?
Project Sprouts is a highly cohesive, loosely coupled collection of features that take some of the suck out of programming.
Sprouts is a modular development platform that takes advantage of Ruby and RubyGems to share code generators, libraries, executables and automated build tasks. It runs anywhere Ruby does, including OS X, Windows, and *nix variants.
Sprouts has been seen working on Mac, Windows and Linux and while it currently targets ActionScript, Flex and AIR development, tools can be easily created to improve any programming environment.
What are are folks saying?
The best thing to happen to Flex since Matt Chotin....
Ryan Stewart, Adobe Flash Platform Evangelist
I swear project sprouts is the most significant single thing in terms of changing my work flow.
Stray, ActionScript developer
Why would someone use Sprouts?
There are lots of reasons to use Sprouts for your projects, here are some of mine:
- Test-Driven Development is much easier
- Decouple builds from development tools
- Consistent environment across any size team
- Platform independent tool chain
- Automatically generate project files, directories, classes, test cases, and test suites
- Continuous Integration simplified